Skip to main content

Growth Mindset Blog


The Growth Mindset that Professor Carol Dweck speaks of is a mindset I believe has been pushed in recent years more than ever before. The notion of "positive thinking positive outcome" can be beneficial in many ways for many people but I think when taken too far it can be detrimental to one's success. 

As I understand it, the growth mindset is the notion that there is no definite failure, only learning experiences. While I do agree with this statement to a degree, I see a major flaw in this ideology. Through this mindset, the concepts of success and failure become foggy. The harmfulness of failure is lessened, the triumph of success is diminished as well. A common example people use for this concept is the topic of participation trophies. The issue is that if we start to celebrate the experience gained more than the goal reached we will eventually lose sight of the overall goal. 

This is why I think that the growth mindset should always be followed by a reminder of the end goal. I understand that there is value in the journey to one's personal victories, and that journey should be appreciated, but the goal should always remain at the forefront of peoples minds. If we lose sight of this goal we will get distracted and distraction inevitably leads to failure and when failure isn't frowned upon people tend to stay content in their lack of progress.

I understand that this is a harsh outlook on this subject, but my opinions are my own and I will continue to chose to celebrate the outcome rather than the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Sooner Schooner taking a ride on Owen Field Link Hello class, this is my formal introduction post to tell you more about me.  I guess we should start off with the basics, my name is Ryan Ard, I am a junior here at OU, and my major is Public Relations. One of my favorite things to do is to be an active Oklahoma RUF/NEK member. Through the Oklahoma RUF/NEKS I care for the school's official mascot the Sooner Schooner as well as care for and maintain Boomer and Sooner, OU's two white welsh ponies.  When people ask me if I have hobbies I usually can't think of any on the spot because I am always busy fulfilling responsibilities with the club or planning for future events with the club. I guess some would say that my membership in this club has consumed my life but I think the contrary is true. This club has opened up so many opportunities for me and without my membership, I wouldn't be involved with many of the opportunities I have had. Through this orga...

"Why the Bat Flies By Night" Reading Notes

The Bush Rat Bibliography: This story is part of the Nigeria unit. Story source: Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910). One day the Bush Rat and the Bat and the bat were feeding together. They always fed together, just like they did everything else together. But, one day the bat decided to turn on the Bush Rat. They were both eating soup when the Bush Rat asked the Bat why his soup was always so good. The bat usually prepared his soup beforehand and just took some extra care while making it, but he decided to tell a lie. The bat told the Rat that before he starts cooking the soup he boils himself in the broth. The Bat said that his flesh is so sweet that it flavors the broth. The Rat was convinced that that is how the soup was so good so later that night he went home and told his wife that he would make soup for the family that night. He started making the soup and as soon as his wife turned away he jumped into the pot of boiling water to "fl...

Week 2 Reading Overview

The Storyteller; Eugene, Oregon Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4. Week 3:  Homer's Odyssey Week 4: Bible Women Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6. Week 5:  Ancient Egypt Week 6:  Folklore of the Holy Land Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.] Week 7:  The Monkey King Week 9:  Brer Rabbit Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11. Week 10:  Great Plains Week 11:  Cherokee Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13. Week 12:  Alice in Wonderland Week 13:  Looking-Glass Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15. Week 14:  Inferno Week 15: Hans Christian Andersen Here are the Blog topics that I have planned on reading this semester. I am very excited to get into the brer rabbit tales along with the Alice in Wonderland tales. I think once I get into this class and figure out how to work throu...