Skip to main content

Storybook Favorites

"A Great Place to Read" photo taken personally by Ryan Ard
I have found three storybooks that I favor from a first impression and I look forward to continuing reading more from them. The Three Storybooks are "Bedtime Stories," "The Mystical Horses of Hogwarts," and "LGBTQ+ Stories, The Other Side."

The first storybook that I enjoyed glancing through was the "Bedtime Stories" Storybook. I thoroughly enjoyed the welcoming tone of the storybook. On the homepage, there was a link to crackling campfire audio so one could listen to the soothing sounds while they read. There were four characters that have stories to tell and I really enjoyed how each character came off as conversational, they each greeted the reader and then went into their story. This storybook was genuinely a pleasure to read and I look forward to reading more.

The next storybook was a continuation of the beloved Harry Potter book series "The Mystical Horses of Hogwarts". This author devoted time to exploring the magical creatures that were only mentioned in the books rather than focus on the main characters of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I particularly enjoyed this storybook because it elaborated on the magical world that I already love, and it allowed me to appreciate the different facets of it in new ways than ever before. I now want to find more storybooks like these and see if they can help me expand past the stories I already know even more.

The last storybook I found was LGBTQ+ Stories, The Other Side. I chose to look into this storybook because I am somewhat separated from that community. I have close friends who are in this community and I am interested in every opportunity to try and empathize with them more. This storybook is a collection of stories about the other side of the LGBTQ+ community and I am excited to expand my perspective about this community.

These three storybooks were very interesting and I look forward to finding storybooks that are similar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Sooner Schooner taking a ride on Owen Field Link Hello class, this is my formal introduction post to tell you more about me.  I guess we should start off with the basics, my name is Ryan Ard, I am a junior here at OU, and my major is Public Relations. One of my favorite things to do is to be an active Oklahoma RUF/NEK member. Through the Oklahoma RUF/NEKS I care for the school's official mascot the Sooner Schooner as well as care for and maintain Boomer and Sooner, OU's two white welsh ponies.  When people ask me if I have hobbies I usually can't think of any on the spot because I am always busy fulfilling responsibilities with the club or planning for future events with the club. I guess some would say that my membership in this club has consumed my life but I think the contrary is true. This club has opened up so many opportunities for me and without my membership, I wouldn't be involved with many of the opportunities I have had. Through this orga...

"Why the Bat Flies By Night" Reading Notes

The Bush Rat Bibliography: This story is part of the Nigeria unit. Story source: Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910). One day the Bush Rat and the Bat and the bat were feeding together. They always fed together, just like they did everything else together. But, one day the bat decided to turn on the Bush Rat. They were both eating soup when the Bush Rat asked the Bat why his soup was always so good. The bat usually prepared his soup beforehand and just took some extra care while making it, but he decided to tell a lie. The bat told the Rat that before he starts cooking the soup he boils himself in the broth. The Bat said that his flesh is so sweet that it flavors the broth. The Rat was convinced that that is how the soup was so good so later that night he went home and told his wife that he would make soup for the family that night. He started making the soup and as soon as his wife turned away he jumped into the pot of boiling water to "fl...

Week 2 Reading Overview

The Storyteller; Eugene, Oregon Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4. Week 3:  Homer's Odyssey Week 4: Bible Women Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6. Week 5:  Ancient Egypt Week 6:  Folklore of the Holy Land Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.] Week 7:  The Monkey King Week 9:  Brer Rabbit Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11. Week 10:  Great Plains Week 11:  Cherokee Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13. Week 12:  Alice in Wonderland Week 13:  Looking-Glass Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15. Week 14:  Inferno Week 15: Hans Christian Andersen Here are the Blog topics that I have planned on reading this semester. I am very excited to get into the brer rabbit tales along with the Alice in Wonderland tales. I think once I get into this class and figure out how to work throu...