Skip to main content

Week 6 Reading Notes

There once was a couple named Miemun and Khojisteh, they were virtually inseparable. They loved each other very very much. They ate together, went everywhere together, they sat together, they were attached at the hip. This couple owned two birds, both birds were wise and could communicate with the couple. One was a parrot and the other a Sharuk.
One day Miemun had to go off on a great journey of which he would not return for many days. When he left he left Khojisteh and the two birds behind.
When Miemun was gone a prince came to town and started to fall in love with Khojisteh. Even though she knew it would be wrong to show interest to this man she couldn't help but fall for him as well. The prince asked her out and she accepted.
She was torn between going or not, she knew it was wrong but she also wanted to go very bad, she decided she would ask Sharuk. She asked the bird if it would be ok for her to leave and go on a date with the prince and Sharuk said absolutely not, it would be wrong and deplorable.
Khojisteh became enraged and grabbed Sharuk by the feet and slammed the bird on the ground. She delivered a blow that would kill him.
She decided she would ask the parrot his advice next. The Parrot having seen what had just happened decided to prolong his life rather than tell her not to go. The parrot knew it was wrong so instead of saying don't go, he offered to tell her a story that might help her come to her own conclusion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Sooner Schooner taking a ride on Owen Field Link Hello class, this is my formal introduction post to tell you more about me.  I guess we should start off with the basics, my name is Ryan Ard, I am a junior here at OU, and my major is Public Relations. One of my favorite things to do is to be an active Oklahoma RUF/NEK member. Through the Oklahoma RUF/NEKS I care for the school's official mascot the Sooner Schooner as well as care for and maintain Boomer and Sooner, OU's two white welsh ponies.  When people ask me if I have hobbies I usually can't think of any on the spot because I am always busy fulfilling responsibilities with the club or planning for future events with the club. I guess some would say that my membership in this club has consumed my life but I think the contrary is true. This club has opened up so many opportunities for me and without my membership, I wouldn't be involved with many of the opportunities I have had. Through this orga...

"Why the Bat Flies By Night" Reading Notes

The Bush Rat Bibliography: This story is part of the Nigeria unit. Story source: Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910). One day the Bush Rat and the Bat and the bat were feeding together. They always fed together, just like they did everything else together. But, one day the bat decided to turn on the Bush Rat. They were both eating soup when the Bush Rat asked the Bat why his soup was always so good. The bat usually prepared his soup beforehand and just took some extra care while making it, but he decided to tell a lie. The bat told the Rat that before he starts cooking the soup he boils himself in the broth. The Bat said that his flesh is so sweet that it flavors the broth. The Rat was convinced that that is how the soup was so good so later that night he went home and told his wife that he would make soup for the family that night. He started making the soup and as soon as his wife turned away he jumped into the pot of boiling water to "fl...

Week 2 Reading Overview

The Storyteller; Eugene, Oregon Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4. Week 3:  Homer's Odyssey Week 4: Bible Women Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6. Week 5:  Ancient Egypt Week 6:  Folklore of the Holy Land Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.] Week 7:  The Monkey King Week 9:  Brer Rabbit Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11. Week 10:  Great Plains Week 11:  Cherokee Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13. Week 12:  Alice in Wonderland Week 13:  Looking-Glass Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15. Week 14:  Inferno Week 15: Hans Christian Andersen Here are the Blog topics that I have planned on reading this semester. I am very excited to get into the brer rabbit tales along with the Alice in Wonderland tales. I think once I get into this class and figure out how to work throu...