Skip to main content

Reading Notes Part 2 "A Mad Tea Party"


There was a small table sitting out in front of a small house. At the table, there were a few figures sitting down, some of which Alice knew and some of which she did not. There were three in total, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Dormouse. The Dormouse sat between the two fast asleep. Alice thought to herself, "Those two are using the Dormouse as a cushion, he must be very uncomfortable." Then she realized he was sleeping so he must not be bothered much by it at all.

The Hare and the Hatter were arguing with each other, they kept exclaiming that there was no room. Then when they saw Alice coming they started to exclaim that there was plenty of room. Alice sat down in a chair at the head of the table when the Hare asked her "Would you like some wine?" Alice looked around the table and saw nothing but tea. She told the Hare that it was quite rude for someone to offer wine when there was none there. He retaliated by saying that it was quite rude for someone to sit at a table they were not invited too. Alice ended the quarrel by saying "I didn't know it was your table."

The Hatter decided to speak at this time, he told Alice "Your hair wants cutting." Alice told him that it was quite rude to make those remarks. He came back with a question, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" Alice had no clue but she was happy to ponder the riddle. The rest of the tea party was just mad gibberish over a pocket watch. Alice tried her best to follow along but these two people were almost speaking a different language. She finally piped up and said, "I don't think I understand any of you."

Bibliography: This story is part of the Alice in Wonderland unit. Story source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Sooner Schooner taking a ride on Owen Field Link Hello class, this is my formal introduction post to tell you more about me.  I guess we should start off with the basics, my name is Ryan Ard, I am a junior here at OU, and my major is Public Relations. One of my favorite things to do is to be an active Oklahoma RUF/NEK member. Through the Oklahoma RUF/NEKS I care for the school's official mascot the Sooner Schooner as well as care for and maintain Boomer and Sooner, OU's two white welsh ponies.  When people ask me if I have hobbies I usually can't think of any on the spot because I am always busy fulfilling responsibilities with the club or planning for future events with the club. I guess some would say that my membership in this club has consumed my life but I think the contrary is true. This club has opened up so many opportunities for me and without my membership, I wouldn't be involved with many of the opportunities I have had. Through this orga...

"Why the Bat Flies By Night" Reading Notes

The Bush Rat Bibliography: This story is part of the Nigeria unit. Story source: Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910). One day the Bush Rat and the Bat and the bat were feeding together. They always fed together, just like they did everything else together. But, one day the bat decided to turn on the Bush Rat. They were both eating soup when the Bush Rat asked the Bat why his soup was always so good. The bat usually prepared his soup beforehand and just took some extra care while making it, but he decided to tell a lie. The bat told the Rat that before he starts cooking the soup he boils himself in the broth. The Bat said that his flesh is so sweet that it flavors the broth. The Rat was convinced that that is how the soup was so good so later that night he went home and told his wife that he would make soup for the family that night. He started making the soup and as soon as his wife turned away he jumped into the pot of boiling water to "fl...

Week 2 Reading Overview

The Storyteller; Eugene, Oregon Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4. Week 3:  Homer's Odyssey Week 4: Bible Women Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6. Week 5:  Ancient Egypt Week 6:  Folklore of the Holy Land Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.] Week 7:  The Monkey King Week 9:  Brer Rabbit Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11. Week 10:  Great Plains Week 11:  Cherokee Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13. Week 12:  Alice in Wonderland Week 13:  Looking-Glass Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15. Week 14:  Inferno Week 15: Hans Christian Andersen Here are the Blog topics that I have planned on reading this semester. I am very excited to get into the brer rabbit tales along with the Alice in Wonderland tales. I think once I get into this class and figure out how to work throu...