Skip to main content

Story, Week 13 "The Singing Bone Epilogue"


After the evil son had been found out they decided to give him a proper punishment. For the crime of killing his own brother and claiming a reward that wasn't his the evil brother was tied to a large stone and thrown into the ocean to drown. The good brother was then taken out from under the bridge and given a proper burial in the king's graveyard.

The bone that was chiseled into a mouthpiece, however, stayed in the horn owned by the man who found it. After all of the wrongs were corrected the horn played usually and the bone sang no more. Life finally seemed to be balanced in the kingdom, until it wasn't.

When the king threw the evil brother in the lake he neglected to think about the power of his bones. If his brother's bone had the ability to sing, the other brother's bones must have the power to accomplish something. The king realized this after he had thrown him in the lake, and at that point, it was too late. The king shrugged off this realization in the hopes that he was overthinking the situation.

Many years had gone by and all that time the brother was at the bottom of the lake getting eaten by the surrounding fish. They would consume his flesh and little by little the fish would start to be influenced by his evil. The brother, in his afterlife influence, commanded the fish to clog the piped to the city with his bones. The fish did as told and suddenly all water supply to the kingdom stopped.

The man with the bone horn noticed that the entire kingdom had no water so he decided to play his horn to see if anything fishy was going on. When he played his horn the bone took control, the words rand out.

My brother in the sea,
once dear to me,
has commanded the fish,
to commit a terrible wish.
For his bones have clogged the pipes,
go now and make this right.

The man with the horn ran straight to the king and told him what had happened. The king then sent his special divers to go retrieve the bones. Once the bones were recovered the king burned them in his fire so that the evil brother may never cause trouble again.

Authors Note: This is a continuation of the singing bone story. I had never heard of that story when I first read it and I wanted more so I decided to create an epilogue where the evil brother had a little more influence on the issue.

Bibliography: This story is part of the Brothers Grimm unit. Story source: The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales translated by D. L. Ashliman (1998-2013).

Comments

  1. Hi Ryan! I was a little confused when the story started - it was just a little jarring to hear of a murder at the beginning of the story. I like the idea of bones holding some sort of magical power. I enjoyed the brother vs brother and good vs evil themes that ran throughout the story. Best of luck with the rest of the semester! We are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan!
    I like the layout of this post a lot! It really makes it easy to read and follow! I also thought the poem you included was really cute and well written. I also really enjoyed how the bones were the subject surrounding the magical powers. Also I think if you added a little bit more of information in your author's note, your story would be better understood!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan!

    I also like the layout of your website, and this story specifically. I think it does a really good job of making the story easy to follow, and fun to read. I thought your story was great, and had a lot of interesting elements that I didn't see coming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Sooner Schooner taking a ride on Owen Field Link Hello class, this is my formal introduction post to tell you more about me.  I guess we should start off with the basics, my name is Ryan Ard, I am a junior here at OU, and my major is Public Relations. One of my favorite things to do is to be an active Oklahoma RUF/NEK member. Through the Oklahoma RUF/NEKS I care for the school's official mascot the Sooner Schooner as well as care for and maintain Boomer and Sooner, OU's two white welsh ponies.  When people ask me if I have hobbies I usually can't think of any on the spot because I am always busy fulfilling responsibilities with the club or planning for future events with the club. I guess some would say that my membership in this club has consumed my life but I think the contrary is true. This club has opened up so many opportunities for me and without my membership, I wouldn't be involved with many of the opportunities I have had. Through this orga

Week 7 Story "The Boiled Bat"

Bush Rat One day the Bat and the Bush Rat were eating together in a field. They both made soup at their homes and brought it to eat with each other. The Rat asked if he could try the Bats soup and he did. The Rat exclaimed, "Wow! this soup is so good, it tastes so sweet and savory." The Rat asked the bat how in the world he made his soup so good. The Bat, knowing he could pull one over the rat, exclaimed, "You see Rat, I simply boil myself in the broth of the soup before I make it. My flesh sweetens it up." The Rat replied, "Wow, how interesting. That is something I will have to try." They both parted ways and went home. On the way home the Rat became upset. You see the rat had already asked the Bats wife how the soup was made but he had forgotten. So when he asked the bat for the recipe so he could remember and he replied with boiling himself in the broth the Rat knew he was lying. He knew that he couldn't forget something that outrageous. S

Week 4 Story "The Healing Parable"

Hole in Roof Authors Note: This is a retelling of the  Followers of Jesus  Story from the perspective of an onlooker. I didn't know much about this Jesus Guy everyone was so crazy about. I am just a regular Shepard. I tend to my flock, come into town to get a meal, maybe buy some garb, nothing exciting. But today was a different day from the moment I left my home. I could see the commotion in town from far away, crowds were gathered all around. I couldn't make the connection to what they were so concerned about until I got closer. That's when I first heard the name, Jesus. I had heard of him before on my previous visits to town, some teacher or holy man or something, I wasn't too sure. I never concerned myself with any of that anyway. I thought though if this celebrity were in town I might as well try to see what all of the commotion. I heard a few people say "I heard he's coming to this house!" so I thought I would go try and get a good spot