Skip to main content

Week 15 Story "The Fox and the Horse"


There once was an old horse who had done all of the work it could have for its master. He had grown too old to make use for himself so his master took him aside and said, "I have no use for you any longer, you are worn out. I will no longer care for you. I am casting you away and the only way you would be able to return is if you come back stronger than a lion"

The horse then went out and started moping through the woods. The old horse knew that he could never be as strong as a lion so he made his way looking for what little food and shelter he could find. As the horse was walking along a fox saw him. He saw that the horse was sad so he thought it best to try and fix what was wrong. The fox went up to the horse and asked why he was so sad. The horse replied, "My master has cast me away and told me that I am no good. I am old and weak and he has no use for me any longer. He said the only way I could return was if I proved to be stronger than a lion."

This gave the fox a nefarious idea. The fox told the horse to play dead and wait for his return. He then went and found the lion and told him about a huge meal that awaits him in the forest. The lion was very enticed so he followed the fox to the horse. Right before the lion started to eat the fox warned him of scavengers that may come and try to steal his meal. So the fox asked if the lion would lie down so that he may tie the horse to its tail so he could drag it back to his den. The lion agreed and laid down. At that moment the fox used the horse's tail to tie the lion's feet and the lion's tail to tie the horse's feet.

At that moment both animals were startled at their inability to move so they started attacking each other the horse used its hooves to beat the lion and the lion used its teeth to bite the horse. They wrestled for a while until they couldn't any longer. They both died in the fight.

The fox then looked over the prize he had earned himself and relished in the fact that he would have food for the next year.

Bibliography: This story is part of the Brothers Grimm (LibriVox) unit. Story source: Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm, an audiobook recording available at LibriVox based on a Project Gutenberg publication.

Authors Note: This is a retelling of the Fox and the Horse story with an added twist at the end. Fox's are often portrayed as mischevious characters so I wanted to show that in my retelling by having the fox get his way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Sooner Schooner taking a ride on Owen Field Link Hello class, this is my formal introduction post to tell you more about me.  I guess we should start off with the basics, my name is Ryan Ard, I am a junior here at OU, and my major is Public Relations. One of my favorite things to do is to be an active Oklahoma RUF/NEK member. Through the Oklahoma RUF/NEKS I care for the school's official mascot the Sooner Schooner as well as care for and maintain Boomer and Sooner, OU's two white welsh ponies.  When people ask me if I have hobbies I usually can't think of any on the spot because I am always busy fulfilling responsibilities with the club or planning for future events with the club. I guess some would say that my membership in this club has consumed my life but I think the contrary is true. This club has opened up so many opportunities for me and without my membership, I wouldn't be involved with many of the opportunities I have had. Through this orga...

"Why the Bat Flies By Night" Reading Notes

The Bush Rat Bibliography: This story is part of the Nigeria unit. Story source: Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910). One day the Bush Rat and the Bat and the bat were feeding together. They always fed together, just like they did everything else together. But, one day the bat decided to turn on the Bush Rat. They were both eating soup when the Bush Rat asked the Bat why his soup was always so good. The bat usually prepared his soup beforehand and just took some extra care while making it, but he decided to tell a lie. The bat told the Rat that before he starts cooking the soup he boils himself in the broth. The Bat said that his flesh is so sweet that it flavors the broth. The Rat was convinced that that is how the soup was so good so later that night he went home and told his wife that he would make soup for the family that night. He started making the soup and as soon as his wife turned away he jumped into the pot of boiling water to "fl...

Week 2 Reading Overview

The Storyteller; Eugene, Oregon Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4. Week 3:  Homer's Odyssey Week 4: Bible Women Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6. Week 5:  Ancient Egypt Week 6:  Folklore of the Holy Land Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.] Week 7:  The Monkey King Week 9:  Brer Rabbit Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11. Week 10:  Great Plains Week 11:  Cherokee Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13. Week 12:  Alice in Wonderland Week 13:  Looking-Glass Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15. Week 14:  Inferno Week 15: Hans Christian Andersen Here are the Blog topics that I have planned on reading this semester. I am very excited to get into the brer rabbit tales along with the Alice in Wonderland tales. I think once I get into this class and figure out how to work throu...